Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DIY {Lego} Table

Pin It
For little man's 5th birthday, he got a few Lego sets.  He was in love.  


We then inherited a rather....large collection of Legos from a neighbor.  

It took about 1 day of me stepping on teeny tiny pieces to decide I had to do something to organize it all!



Thus, the DIY Lego Table!





This table was super easy to make.  
Really, if I can build this, so can you!



Supplies Needed






How To

First step-assemble that table!




Next, decide how many buckets you want.  I decided on two, going horizontal.  

(I felt like going vertical took up too much table space)





I carefully measured out where on the table I wanted my buckets.  I used a straight-edged level to make sure my rectangles were perfect.





If you are doing this exact project, here are your measurements:


  • Each rectangle is 15.75" across, and 10.25 inch tall
  • I measured in 4" from the side of the table
  • I measured 2.25" from the top of the table. 



Here's an awesome diagram for you visual learners.






Next up, cut out those rectangles.





Use your spade drill bit (you can buy one at any hardware store) to make a hole, up near one of the corners.  This is how you will start your cut with the jigsaw.





Next, use your jigsaw to cut out the rectangles, following the lines you previously drew.  It's ok if they are not exact!





Here are my rectangles, pre-sanding, and painting.





Sand the edges when you are done.



Now, spray paint (if you want).  I wasn't a huge fan of the pine look.



I finished it off with a clear (non-yellowing) sealant.





Drop in the bins,  and fill with Legos!
(those bins hold A TON of Legos)





Here it is, getting some use.








To actually build stuff on, I ordered gray 15x15 baseplates from Amazon to glue to the table.  I needed three to fill the width of the table.






I used superglue to attach them.





Here they are, attached to the table.






All done!






Many creations have already been made....








Thanks for stopping by!



31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Kate,
      The chairs are from IKEA too! In the kids section.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This is great! My nephews would love it if their "uncle Robert" made this for them. I would love it if you linked this up to my Motivate Me Monday linky party at IT'S A ginger SNAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah you are beyond brilliant. My six year old would lovvvvvvve this. I would love it if you would share this fab post at our WIW linky party. I hope you can join us!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic!!!! Pinned and sharing. Wish I thought of this when my guy was little ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links last Friday! I loved this post so much that I chose it to be featured for this weeks party. :) Go grab a button you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Did you also shorten the table legs to kid height?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I just bought tall chairs. the chairs are also IKEA, in the kids section

      Delete
  8. Thus, the DIY Lego Table! This table was super easy to make. Really, if I can build this, so can you! Supplies Needed. IKEA Ingo Dining Table ... ilegotable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the idea. I built one yesterday. A more accurate measurement to cut out for the holes is 15.5" x 10.5". It makes for a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you tell me the specific chairs you got from IKEA? I couldn't find them, maybe they don't have them any more. My sons are 3 and 4 and I was going to do a kid size table but something a little bigger like this for them to grow into would be better I think. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind! Found them...http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50207036/#/00165213 :)

      Delete
  11. I created a build video of mine. Referenced back to your blog as the inspiration for it. Thank you:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmA4NGBARRc

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a 6 year old trying to decide if I need the higher chairs or regular chairs? How old do you think could use the junior chair like you have? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! Doing this for my 7 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the lamp too, is that IKEA?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am going to Velcro base plates with 3M strips to my coffee table so I can safely remove them when my grandchildren outgrow it...or maybe I'll just get more playtime!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Curious as to what exact chairs you used. Absolutely love this! Exactly what we are looking for! We have a friend going to IKEA tomorrow that will pick up the stuff for us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I live in Australia hope I can find what I need but I am doing this for my son... He will love it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was so inspirational that we are making it for our son's birthday on the 11th. Ikea delivers on the 8th so a bit of a squeeze.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you could have avoid to glue the plates from the table so that they can also draw on it or make another activity than playing lego!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Out of curiosity, did you cut the legs to make the table shorter in height?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, my husband made this for our children last year (age 4 and 5) and we did not cut the legs to make the table shorter and glad we didn't so they can continue to grow into it. It is perfect for them with no issues and their friends that come over to play. We have gotten so many compliments on it! There is a great youtube video to watch making this exact table. One note, make sure when gluing the base plates that you use and attach a lego piece to separate them on the table so you do not put the base plates too close or to far away from each other!

      Delete
  21. Great blog you people have maintained there, I totally appreciate the work.lego times tables

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is by far the cleanest and smartest way for a diy lego table. Very creative! I think I'll be incorporating this for my 9 year old daughter, because she loves legos, however have no where to put all her creations. Thanks for the detailed instructions, very helpful. Hooe to see more of your projects!

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!